I always feel like the month of September is when things settle in and become more routine, as far as school is concerned. The kiddos know where they are going and what they should be doing by now (hopefully) and the teachers are learning the classes general “personality” to move forward in the planning of this year.
So if the kids and the teachers know what they are doing, what about US? The Parents?
When my oldest began Kindergarten, I didn’t know what to do with my new daytime freedom, I only work nights. Lunch dates were scheduled with old friends and shopping was done without dragging my little one along. It was awesome! I even got a massage and a manicure now and again. Things are busier now though. My oldest is in Thurgood Middle School and I don’t seem to have as much time between drop off and pick up now, especially with car-circle craziness!
So I feel I need to make a “school checklist” for the month of September and stay organized. Mine looks like this;
- Bring in unwanted clothes, shoes and backpacks to put in the Go Green recycling bins on campus either in the courtyard or in car circle
- Bring in BOX TOPS that were collected over the summer (deadline is October 15th!)
- Classroom Wish List Items/Forgotten School Supplies, both schools
- Lunch Money account paid up, for both schools
- Sign Up to be a Volunteer at the Middle School
- PTA membership (it’s only $5.00 at Perkins, it’s $8 at Thurgood)
- Adopt-A-Class (I can give a little more since Bella is in Middle School now)
- Fall Fundraiser ends 9/30 (I only have one kid here at Perkins now! Yay it’s only $35)
- Spanish Donation ($10)
- Do we need new Perkins Shirts ($10) or PME Swag?
- Check the school website, the PTA Blog😉 and Facebook pages (update mine and watch the schools) for upcoming events/happenings to stay in the loop.
- Makes sure I can log into Class Dojo as well (this is a BIG new way to communicate with the school/parents!)
Seriously my list is a lot longer but you get the idea 🙂 Do you have a checklist? You should!
I know there’s school pictures coming up 9/1 and a PTA General Meeting 9/6 with Level II Fingerprinting. Here’s the link for that,
Sign Up Genius is how we sign up for all PTA volunteer positions throughout the year here at Perkins. The teachers use it for class parties and events as well. Please log in and become familiar with it! The first Teachers & Staff Luncheon is sponsored by 5th Grade parents and is on September 8th. All 5th grade parents should be getting the Sign Up Genius link emailed to them, if not, please make sure your email address is correct with the school. Here’s the link for the 5th Grade Sponsored Luncheon just in case,
I hope everyone was able to attend Open House this last Tuesday, despite the insane weather! We sold a bunch of t-shirts, met a lot of new parents and answered PTA related questions. It was really great meeting all of you!